Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Thalicha Puli sadham--left overs special-My grandma's way



Bored of normal puliohara..then try this version.I remember my grandma doing this dish when rice gets remained at night..As our lifestyle had changed we hardly take rice at nights..
Last week for a change I made rice at night and lots of it got remained .I don't wanted to waste it ..This reminded  me of my grandma's pulisadham which she used to prepare.This tastes very yummy...
 
Just prepared this and had it with appalam...the taste was heavenly..
My grandma even though, not much educated knew that turmeric powder and tamarind are good preservatives and used it wisely to do this rice.She had learnt from her grandma...so u can add this to grandma's recipe..!!
 
Eat..Think..Save..is this year's World Environment Day's theme..So don't waste/throw food.Use it wisely
 
With no much wait please click READ MORE below to get into the recipe


 
INGREDIENTS:
 
 
 
PROCEDURE:
 
 
 
Soak the tamarind in water for 10-20 minutes.(Add about 1/2 cup of water)
Then make tamarind water by squeezing the tamarind.
 
 
To the rice add turmeric water,salt and tamarind water.
Mix them well.Allow it to remain for 5-6 hours.I usually leave it overnight.As tamarind and turmeric powder are good preservatives the food will not get spoiled!!
 
 
Chop the onions and keep it aside.I do chop the curry leaves too finely.
Heat oil in a kadai and add items mentioned in To Temper-mustard seeds,curry leaves,red chillies,urad dhal,bengal gram,asafoetida one by one
 
Then add onions and saute it well.
 
 
Finally add the tamarind soaked rice and toss it well so that the rice gets the heat.Saute it for 2-3 minutes.
 
Have it with appalam/Pappad
 
 
 
Handy Tips:
 
  • U cannot pack it and take like the normal pulihora as it had been soaked over for long time.
  • I usually do it with left over rice.U can also do it with freshly steamed rice too.
  • In addition to red chillies u can add green chillies too.
  • Onion is optional.
  • As turmeric powder is added u need not worry even if it is soaked for overnight
  • Turmeric powder will act as a good preservative.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment