Moor kuzhambu is always my favourite only when Vadai is added to it.My mother used to cook it only with paruppu vadai.But my mother in law cooks in an entirely different way.She adds simple vegies like ladies finger,suraikai etc to make the moor kuzhambu.Both of it taste entirely different.
The one I am posting is the one which my mom makes at home.It tastes good only with paruppu vadai.It is less spicy and at the same time it is very delicious to have..I love the taste of soaked Paruppu vadai.It goes very well with Rasam rice..
For the recipe please press READ MORE below..
1 Tbsp of Thoor Dhal(soak it for 20 minutes)
2 Tsp of Raw rice (Soak it for 20 minutes)
2 Nos. of Green Chilli(Saute it before grinding)
3 nos. of small onions/shallots
1 Tsp of grated coconut
1 Tsp of Cumin Seeds/Jeera
For the gravy:
2 Cups of Thin Curd(Mix 1 Cup of curd with 1 cup of water)
A pinch of Turmeric water
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp of Oil
1 Tsp of mustard seeds
1/2 Tsp of Jeera
1-2 Nos of dry red chillies
1 strand of curry leaves
For the Vadai
1 Cup of bengal gram/Kadalai paruppu/Channa dhal
2-3 nos of green chillies
1 tsp of grated ginger
A pinch of Asafoetida/Hing
To mix with:
1 no. of Big onion chopped finely
2-3 strands of curry leaves(chop it finely)
2-3 Tbsp of chopped coriander leaves
Soak the thoor dhal and raw rice for 20-25 minutes.
Saute the green chillies with a drop of oil.Break the chillies and saute it or else it will burst.
Grind soaked thoor dhal,green chilli,raw rice,coconut into a nice paste.
Then add onions and jeera and just grind the onions and jeera coarsely.Let the onion and jeera don't get grinded smoothly.
In a bowl take the grinded mixture.
To it add curd,water,turmeric powder,salt and mix well.
Heat the bowl which has that curd mixture in low flame.Wait till it gets bubbles.Don't make it to boil.It will not take more than 5 minutes for the mixture to get boiled.
Switch off the flame.
In another pan add little oil for tempering.
Then add items mentioned in "To Temper"list(first the mustard seeds,then cumin seeds,red chilli,curry leaves).
And the tempered one to the curd gravy and mix well.Keep it aside.
Soak the channa dhal for atleast 45minutes.
Then strain the water from channa dhal.
Add channa dhal,green chillies,ginger,salt and make it into a coarse paste.
To the vadai batter add finely chopped onions,chopped curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves.U can use kitchen scissors to chop curry leaves and coriander leaves.
Heat oil in a pan and fry the vadais.U can make in whatever shape u want.I used a regular flattened shape to enable quick cooking of the vadai.
Add the hot vadais to the moor Kuzhambu.
Serve it with potato fry and hot steamed rice..
- Instead of Vadai u can add vegetables like lady's finger,boiled bottle guard etc.Just saute the ladysfinger and so that it gets cooked.Then add them to the gravy.Just cook the vegetable and add it.
- U can add fennel seeds too for while grinding for the gravy.
- U can also add a garlic pod while grinding for the gravy.
- Don't heat the gravy in the high flame..
- Beat the curd well before u add to the grinded mixture.
- Vadai can be made in any shapes.
- Saute the green chillies that are used for the gravy(in grinded form)so that the raw smell of the green chilli goes off.
- Grind the onions and jeera coarsely.Don't grind it very smooth.
- Use kitchen scissors to chop curry leaves and coriander leaves
- While sauting the green chillies,just break it into two halves and saute it or make a slit before u saute.Or else the chilli will burst when it is getting saute as a whole.