What I love the most in this chutney is that u can store it for more than a month!!And also the sweet-sour taste combination is awesome.My kids love to have it for Idly and dosa apart from the regular chaats.
Sweet Chutney-Khajur Imli Ki Chutney-Tamarind date chutney is a sweet-sour combination of chutney that is prepared using tamarind,jaggery and dates.It goes very well with Idly,Dosa,puri and french fries too.(For the sweet lovers only)It is usually served with the chaat items and also referred as chaat chutney..
For the recipe please press READ MORE below..
Makes:A small ramekin sized cup
10-12 no of Dates(Deseeded)
1 Tbsp of Tamarind paste or a lemon sized tamarind
3/4 Tbsp of Jaggery
1 Tsp of Roasted Jeera Powder
1 Tsp of Red chilli powder
A pinch of salt
1/8 Tsp of Chaat masala powder(Optional)
Deseed the dates.
In a pressure cooker add the deseeded dates.Add little amount of water.Inside the cooker itself keep the tamarind in a small bowl(with little amount of water)
Pressure cook it for 6-7 whistles till it gets soft.
The tamarind and the dates would have become soft.
Take out the water and reserve it for further use.
grind the tamarind ,dates and jaggery in a mixie
U can add the water(that had been reserved earlier)while grinding the mixture to get a smooth paste.
Heat a pan and add the grinded paste.
Add the water that had been reserved earlier.Mix well.
Allow the mixture to boil for 2-3 minutes.
Add Chilli powder,Roasted cumin powder(dry roast cumin and make into powder),salt and mix well.
Allow the mixture to boil till it turns into sauce consistency.
Add chaat masala powder if u desired and mix well.
Store it in an air tight container and it remains good even a month when kept in a fridge.
Enjoy the sweet chutney for a chaat and also for Idly/Dosa.
- For the Pani poori,add water to small amount of sweet chutney and serve it in liquid form .
- Boil it so that water content is reduced so as to stay for longer time.
- If u don't have roasted cumin powder then dry roast the cumin seeds in a pan and then add it while grinding the mixture
- You can also add 2-3 dry chillies instead of chilli powder.But see to it that it gets grinded smoothly.
- If u can soak the tamarind in advance then it will be easy to get cooked.
- After adding the masala powders simmer the stove so that the raw smell goes off and the chutney turns thick.
- You can add raisins too along with dates.
- If u are adding chaat masala no need to add salt.
- Boil the mixture nicely till it becomes thick sauce so that the shelf life is more.
- For a dip use the thicker version.
- For the topping ,add water to make the chutney thinner.
- Can be served for Samosas,pakoras,bhel chaat,Pani Poori,Dahi Chaats and even for french fries.