Bugged of eating corn flakes and oats..???!!!Then try this millet which gives the same benefit as that of oats and cornflakes.Infact it is tasty too..Reduce rice and take in more of millets.These were predominantly used by our ancestors in olden days..which by the advent of british and westernisation we happened to forget all these healthy food..Now people became more conscious on their health and started looking back for the good and healthy food!!
I will be posting more of millets recipe in future.I had been trying all methods to cook the millet just like the rice which I ended up in a kanji consistency..Later on, I learnt the art of cooking the millets from one of my grandma ,when I visited her during my vacation..
This is the first time I am tasting it and I am not exaggerating the taste..It is awesome...Tastes much tastier than the normal rice..
Millets are gluten free and packed with vitamins and minerals.It is highly nutritious,great energy source,high amount of fiber,high antioxidant,digests easily..
Have a healthy meal with the millet..
Just learn the tricks at cooking the millet and relish...in a healthy and rich way..
1 Cup of varagu Arisi/kodo millet
2 and 3/4 cups of water
A pinch of salt
A drop of oil(Optional)-I didn't use it!!
Clean the millets well before using ,for grits if any.
Soak it in water for 5 minutes.Then drain the water
Boil 2 and 3/4 cups of water in a pan.Add a pinch of salt and a drop of oil(optional)
Add the soaked and drained millet to the water.
Bring the millet n water mixture to boil.
Now reduce the heat to low and close the pan with the lid
Cook it in low flame for 8-10 minutes.
Then switch off the flame and leave the pan to be on the stove with the lid closed for exactly 30 minutes.Don't open the lid in between.(Just adhere to it)
After 30 minutes stir it and serve it with sambhar/vatha kuzhambu/any non vegetarian dishes..
- Dont add much water or else u will end up in a porridge consistency!!
- If u want the rice for making any variety rice(tamarind rice/lemon rice etc..) then add only 2 and 1/2 cups of water.Then the rice gets cooked up little dry.
- When the rice gets cooled it becomes little dry.So don't worry if it is soggy when u open the pan.It gets dry when it cools.
- The millets quantity will double in size when cooked
- Don't open the lid of the pan before the stipulated time ..During that resting period it gets cooked completely.
- Just follow the steps blindly u will end up with a lovely texture of millet rice.
- I tried cooking it in pressure cooker/electric cooker which didn't come out well and also the texture and taste was not appealing!!