Idiyappams and sevai are always my favourite.When we were at mettur my neighbour used to make different types of sevai.They call it as santhagai!!I always make more idiyappams and reserve some to make variety of sevais.They are very easy to make and take very less time to cook.I make idiyappams for dinner and reserve some to make sevai for the next day breakfast...They are very handy to make during busy morning hours.Sometimes when I run out of time I pack it even for lunch!!
They taste similiar to that of tomato rice with less spicyness..U can make the same tomato sevai in different ways.Sometimes I just toss it with tomato thokku too which tastes little different.
For recipe of this simple sevai please press READ MORE below..
Preparation time:5 minutes
Cooking Time:5 minutes
4-5 nos of Idiyappams/Rice string hoppers
1 No. of big onion chopped finely
2 Nos. of big tomato chopped finely
1 Tsp of ginger garlic paste
1 no. of green chilli
1-2 Tsp of red chilli powder
1/8 Tsp of Turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 Tbsp of oil
1-2 Tsp of mustard seeds
1 Tsp of urad dhal
1 Tsp of Channa Dhal
2 strands of curry leaves
Break the Idiyappams into small pieces.Keep it aside.
Heat oil in the pan.
Add items mentioned in "To Temper" list.Add green chilli too and saute it.
Then add onions and saute well.
Add ginger garlic paste followed by chopped tomatoes.Saute it well.
Add Chilli powder,turmeric powder and saute well till oil leaves out from the mixture.
Then add the torn up idiyappams .Add required amount of salt and mix well.
Toss it till it becomes hot.
- Be cautious when u add salt.Idiyappam already has little amount of salt.
- If the idiyappam is cool and hard(when taken out from fridge),just steam cook it for 2-3 minutes till it turns soft
- Saute the mixture well till tomato-onion mixture blends well.
- Tomato thokku can also be mixed instead of this mixture.
- Garlic pods can be added while adding onions if u love the garlic flavour.
- Taste and see the tomato onion mixture when u saute it.If the sourness is more then add little more chilli powder to balance the sourness.Adjust the salt amount too accordingly