This is the base gravy for most of the gravies that call for tomato gravy in cream sauce.If u keep ready this sauce then u can make Paneer Makhani,Malai Koftas,Murgh makhani within few minutes.I usually make in larger quantities and freeze it.So when guests visit us,with no haste and tension I make this easy and rich Curry
The name Makhani means Butter and these makhani dishes are very famous in Punjab.Though the process takes more time,it is very handy when sudden guests visit us!!
Please press READ MORE to get into the recipe..
For 3 Cups of Makhani Curry
5 Cups of Pureed fresh tomato
1/4 Cup of Butter(I used cooking oil instead)
1/4 Cup of ginger paste
3 Tbsp of garlic paste
1 Tsp of Red Chilli Powder
2 inch stick of cinnamon
2 nos of Black Cardamom
2 Nos. of green Cardamom
1 Tsp of Fenugreek Powder(Don't skip it)
1 Tbsp of Kasoori methi/dry fenugreek leaves
1/2 Tsp of Cinnamon Powder
3 nos of slitted green chillies
1/2 a cup of cream
1/2 Cup milk
Heat oil in a heavy pan.
To it add cinnamon,black and green cardamoms and fenugreek seeds
Then add ginger paste,garlic paste,salt,chilli powder and stir well till oil oozes out from the mixture.
Add kasoori methi,tomato puree,green chilli and cinnamon powder and stir well.
Keep it in low flame,Cover the pan and Let it boil for some time.
Boil it in simmer till the mixture turns thick and oil leaves out on the ends.It took 12-15 minutes for me.
This mixture is cooled and then frozen.It stays good for 2 months too.Don't add cream/milk if u want to freeze it.
If u are not freezing it and want to use it immediately then follow these steps:
Add Heavy cream and milk.Mix well.Boil it for 10 minutes
Now the makhani Sauce is ready.
With this u can do the following dishes:
Murgh Makhani-marinated and grilled chicken are added to the sauce and cooked.
Paneer Makhani- Cubes of Paneer are added and cooked in Makhani sauce
Dhal Makhani-Cooked dhal is added and heated in the makhani sauce
Malai Kofta-balls are made,deep fried and then simmered in the makhani sauce
(I will update the detailed procedure of the above recipes once i make it)
- Don't add cream and milk if u want to freeze it
- If u are using tomato paste instead of tomato puree, then use only 2 and 1/2 cups of tomato paste
- Before adding the tomato paste to the mixture,mix the tomato paste with double the amount of water and make it in the puree consistency and then add.
- Store the sauce in an air tight container and freeze it.
- Don't skip addition of fenugreek seeds thinking it will give bitter taste.
- Addition of cream can be increased according to your taste.
- Instead of butter, cooking oil can also be added.