When I run out of time this is the side dish I make for rotis.They are very handy to carry during journeys and easy to make too.They taste good with Dosa also.With the remaining chutney I mix it up with rice and have it as tomato rice.
It is purely a south Indian style of preparation.There are many variations in which the chutney is made.This is one of the style .Others I will be posting it later.
A single sidedish serves as a multipurpose dish....Side dish for Roti,Tomato Chutney wraps,Side Dish for Dosa,Tomato Rice,Spread for the Breads,Side dish for Curd rice etc..I make it in larger quantities and make all the variations and serve the kid!!
The combination of sweet and sour taste is very yummy to have..
For the recipe press READ MORE below..
1 Cup of Chopped onions
1 and 1/2 Cup of chopped ripen tomatoes
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric Powder
1 Tbsp of Red Chilli Powder
1/2 Tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
4-5 Pearls of garlic chopped finely(Optional)
Salt to taste
1-2 green Chilli
1-2 Tbsp of Oil
1 Tsp of Mustard Seeds
2 strands of Curry leaves
A pinch of Asafoetida/Hing
In a pan add oil and heat it.
Then add mustard seeds ,Curry leaves(I chop it finely ),asafoetida
Then add chopped onions and saute it
Saute it till it becomes translucent.
Add ginger garlic paste and saute it.
Then add chopped tomatoes to it and saute it for 5-10 minutes till oil oozes out.
Then add 1/2 cup of water to it.Add salt.Make it to boil for 5-10 minutes till it turns thick.
When it becomes little thick,switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.If u love coconut then at this stage add coconut milk and adjust it into gravy consistency.
- Adjust the chilli powder amount according to the sourness of tomato.If more sour more chilli powder to be added.Balance the sourness with chilli powder and salt.
- If u need to store it for 2-3 days then add more oil to the gravy
- Coconut milk can be added finally if u need it in gravy form.
- Saute the tomato-Onion mixture nicely to get a nice taste
- It goes well with dosa,idli and Roti.Can be had with bread too.
- The same mixture can be mixed with cooked rice and packed as tomato rice!!