This is my dad's favourite breakfast..My mother makes it very often at home.This one is usually cooked in VengalaPaanai and all of us at home love to have the Kaanthal(the burnt part of the upma).This goes very well with coconut chutney.With the same ingredients we also make Upma Kozhukattai which is served as an evening snack/Dinner.As this contains rice and dhal it would be an apt one to have for the breakfast.
I break the rice to kurunai and use it for the idlies too.The rice-dhal mixture that we make can be stored for long days.I make it ready in a bulk quantity and reserve them for further cooking in future when I run out of vegetables and time
For the recipe please press READ MORE below
Cooking time:20 minutes
Serves-2 to 3
1 Cup of Raw Rice
3 and a 1/2 cups of water
2 Tbsp of Thoor Dhal
1 Tsp of Cumin Seeds
1/2 Tsp of black whole pepper
2 strands of Curry leaves
1 Tsp of Cooking oil
1/2 Tsp of Mustard seeds
A pinch of Asafoetida/Hing
2-3 Dry Red Chilli
1 Tsp of Channa dhal/bengal gram/Kadalai Paruppu
1 strand of Curry leaves
Soak the rice atleast for 1/2 an hour.Then drain the water.
Spread the rice on a cotton cloth and make it dry inside the house so that all moisture gets absorbed( For me it took 15-20 minutes to dry)
Add thoor dhal,pepper,cumin seeds,curry leaves in a mixie and just powder it coarsely.Then add rice to it and powder it together coarsely(Operate the mixie only in Pulse mode.Don't do it as u do normally or else the mixture will become powder)
U can keep the powdered one ready and it can be used when u wanted to make upma.
Take a kadai and add oil.Heat it
Usually my mom makes this with vengalapaanai.The one I have is little big..So I had used the kadai
Then add mustard seeds,curry leaves,channa dal,red chillies,asafoetida.
Add required amount of water,salt and bring it to boil.
Add the powdered rice-Dhal mixture.Stir well.
Close it with a lid and allow it to cook for 5-10 minutes in a slower flame.
Serve it hot with coconut Chutney/Buttermilk
- You can add 1 Tbsp of grated coconut to the upma
- The red chillies can also be powdered along with the dal if u want it more spicy
- U can powder the rice without soaking it too.Then the coarsely powdered mixture need to be sieved using a sifter.If u r not sieving it then the upma will turn out into paste
- Soaking and drying the rice will avoid the rice being powdered .
- Onions can also be added .
- Vegetables like carrot can also be added to give a nice appeal.
- Cook it in a lower flame
- For an authentic taste cook it in a Vengala paanai
- The powdered rice-dhal mixture can be stored for months
- U can use Par boiled rice too instead of raw rice.
- Can be prepared using the broken rice that is sold at shops.