This chutney I make very often at my home as my kids just love groundnuts(Peanuts).My mother used to make it in another way.When coconuts costed more, she manages by making this chutney,which doesn't take much time to make too.With a slight modification I had made this chutney which turned out very well and suited apt for Hot idlies.
The recipe that I had mentioned here is of andhra style.I had slightly reduced the number chillies only.If u want the chutney to be very hot add more chillies !!
For the recipe please press READ MORE..
1/2 Cup of groundnuts/Peanuts
4-5 nos of dry red chillies
Marble size Tamarind
2 pods of garlic(Optional)
4 nos of Shallots/Small Onions
1 Tsp of oil
1 Tsp of mustard seeds
1/2 Tsp of urad Dhal
1 strand of curry leaves
In a pan add few drops of oil and fry the groundnuts.you can either use skinned ones are deskinned ones.
Then fry chillies,garlic and tamarind.
Fry the shallots too.
Then grind it and add salt and mix well.Add water according to the consistency that u need.
In a pan add oil and add items mentioned in "For Tempering".
Add this to the grinded chutney.
Mix well and serve it with Hot Idlies.
- Instead of red chillies,green chillies can be added.
- A mixture of green chilli and red chilli can also be added
- Small amount of coconut can also be added.
- Groundnuts with/without the skin can be used
- Garlic addition is optional
- Instead of shallots ,2 Tbsp of chopped big onions can be used