Though I don't take brinjals often I love them when my mom makes ennai kathirikai kuzhambu..The enhanced taste is by the type of brinjal that they add for the kuzhambu.Mullu kathirikai(brinjal with little thorns)tastes awesome for this kuzhambu.The other varieties can also be used to make this gravy.
Last month my mom bought me the Mullu kathirikai(Brinjal) from vellore.At Tuticorin we don't get good varieties of brinjals.Even if it is available they taste tasteless!!I made my mom to make this gravy the next day and we had it with sutta appalam.Yummy and heavenly the lunch was..that too from mom!!I love to have this gravy with curd rice!!H loves to have this with sponge dosa..
One of my Schoolmate had been asking for a long time to post this recipe..The delay was due to the unavailability of mullu kathirikai!!
For the recipe please press READ MORE below
5-6 Nos of Whole Brinjal/Egg plant (Purple one with thorns preferably)
10-12 shallots (or 1 no of big onion)
2 nos of medium sized tomatoes
lemon sized tamarind
1 Tbsp of Ginger garlic paste
4-5 pearls of garlic(optional)
1 Tbsp of Kuzhambu Powder(or 1/2 Tbsp chilli pd+1/2 Tbsp coriander powder)
1/2 Tsp of Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp of coconut paste
For the tempering:
1-2 Tbsp of Gingelly oil/Nal ennai (or cooking oil)
1 Tsp of Mustard seeds
1/2 Tsp of fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
1 strand of curry leaves
A pinch of Asafoetida
Wash the brinjals and slit it(don't slit it fully)as shown in the figure.After slitting put it in water to avoid blackening of the brinjals
Chop the onions and mash it 3/4
Chop the tomatoes and keep it ready
In a pan add gingelly oil/cooking oil and heat it.
Once the oil gets heated add the items mentioned in To temper in the Ingredients list.
Add onions,crushed garlic and saute well.
Then add ginger garlic paste and saute well.
Add tomatoes and saute it.Saute till the tomatoes are mashed well.
While chopping the vegetables soak tamarind in water and extract juice from it,say for 1/2 a cup and keep it ready.
Then add chilli powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder and saute it
Add the slitted brinjals and saute till the colour of the brinjals change.
When the brinjals are done add tamarind water(that had been extracted earlier),salt and mix well.At this stage adjust the chilli/tamarind/salt taste
Make it to boil for 5-10 minutes.The gravy can be had without adding coconut paste too.Then boil it till the gravy becomes thick.
Add coconut paste.mix well and cook for 2 minutes.Don't boil it too much
Coconut paste is prepared by grinding 2 Tbsp of grated coconut with water
- We can also use green or the ordinary purple brinjal.Not the big one used for making Chutney.
- Don't slit the brinjal completely
- Select the brinjals in smaller size
- If the gravy it too sour adjust it by adding some more chilli powder and salt
- Coconut paste addition is optional.As brinjal and tamarind are hot for the body to cool down the spicyness coconut paste is added.
- While grinding coconut, saunf can also be added.It will enhance the flavour
- If u are not going to add coconut paste then 1/2 Tsp of fenugreek powder(methi powder/Venthiyam powder)can be added after taking it from the flame.
- Fry the brinjals nicely.That adds flavour
- This dish goes well with curd rice.
- Gingelly oil gives an exotic aroma and taste for the gravy