Monday, December 2, 2013

Potato Smiles / Potato Smileys





I had been held up with lots of happenings for the last week and I didn't check my blog.When I checked it yesterday I was happy to see 1,00,000 page visits for my blog and felt these potato smileys are the best one to portray my happiness and thankfulness..Thank you readers for all your encouragement that you give me when I fall low on posting..

This post is dedicated to all my wonderful readers..


I happened to taste this snack at one of my friend's house and my kids loved them much.But I restricted them to have only few.I felt bad about the preservatives that were used in the snack.I promised the kids to make them at home.To satisfy my kids I started searching the recipe and to my surprise I found them too here.
Just tried the recipe and it was a super hit at my home.Now this had been their favourite snack too.
I deep fried some and baked a few for us to munch..
 
Smiles are a famous snack item from McCain.They are fluffy mashed potato shaped into happy faces and lightly prepared with oil for a crunchy taste.
 
Scroll below to get into the recipe...
 


INGREDIENTS:

2 Large Potatoes ,Boiled,Peeled n mashed.
1/4 Tsp of Ginger garlic Powder
1/4 Tsp of Red Chilli Powder
1/4 Tsp of Garam masala Powder
A pinch of Turmeric Powder
1 Tsp of Lemon Juice
3 Tbsp or more of Corn Flour
Salt to taste
3 Tbsp of Kasoori Methi or any herb
Oil to deep fry



PROCEDURE:




Boil potatoes,Peel off the skin and mash the potatoes well so that there are no lumps.
Add turmeric powder,chilli powder,garam masala powder,salt,dried herb,ginger garlic paste,Lemon juice,corn flour.
Mix them well.





Make it into a thick dough.
If the dough is sticky then sprinkle few more of corn flour and make it into thick non sticky dough.
Then make it to rest for 30 minutes in a refrigerator.
Then take it out,knead it again and flatten it with 2 mm thickness.I used a tumbler to flatten it.U can use a rolling pin too
Then use a cookie cutter(of circle shape) and cut the circles.
You can also use some lids of the small containers to cut the circle shape.
 
 
 
Make 2 eye like impressions on the cut circles using the back of a clean pen .
Then by using a blunt knife make the mouth.
 
Again keep the made smiley to the refrigerator for 10 minutes.U can even store it in the fridge and later fry it.
 
 
 
 

Heat oil in a pan in medium flame.
When the oil becomes hot drop the smileys one by one and deep fry them till it turns golden colour.

Serve it hot with tomato sauce.






HANDY TIPS:










  • Instead of Kasoori methi u can use fresh finely chopped coriander leaves too.
  • The dough is refrigerated to make it thick
  • The dough should be thick enough to roll and make the eyes and mouth.
  • Addition of herbs imparts a nice aroma to the smileys.So don't omit it.
  • The made smileys(before frying) can be freezed and had be kept for a week too.
  • The potatoes should be mashed well or else when you make the eyes they will tend to break.
  • You can even bake them instead of deep frying them.





No comments:

Post a Comment