The name and the colour of the dish has no relation,but I don't know why they named it so.May be because rice is the main ingredient they would have named it as Vellai Poori.This is one of the snack that is made in the evenings.It is quite heavy snack and one can take only 2.
Being brought up in the North Arcot District of TamilNadu I always have a deep love for the food items that are special there.To name some : Brinjal Serva,Maccan Beda,Arcot Biriyani,Vadaicurry,Vellai Poori etc..I had never heard people making this vellai poori either in places near Salem/Erode/Coimbatore/Tirunelveli/Madurai.So I thought posting this dish is a special one to my blog.
So I requested my mother to make this Poori.She makes it so tasty and yummy.She had learnt it from her grandma.This is the only snack which my father loves the utmost..Even now when we make it at home we miss our dad..and this is the only reason for which I hardly make this snack at home..For the sake of posting it in my blog I made few pooris..
For the recipe please press READ MORE below...
1 Cup of Par boiled Rice/Puzhungal Arisi(about 200 gms)
2 Tbsp of Thuvar dal
5-6 nos of dry red chillies
10 pods of garlic with skin
1/8 tsp of Asafoetida/Hing
Salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
Wash the parboiled rice and soak it for atleast 2 hours.
After 2 hours of soaking stain the water.
Add the rice to a mixie jar.Add 2 Tbsp of tuvar dhal ,salt ,Hing and red chillies.
Add very little water and grind it.
Grind it into a coarse paste.It should be in a parrupu vadai dough consistency.
In the meanwhile crush the garlic(along with the skin).Don't crush it too much.We are adding it along with the skin to avoid the indigestion problem.
Mix it well.
If the feel the dough is little watery then transfer it to a dry cotton cloth and tie it tightly so that the extra water content gets absorbed.Or keep it in the frige for 10 minutes alone..
Heat oil in a pan.
Take a dry cotton cloth.
Make a small lemon sized dough and make it into a round ball.
Then flatten it as u do for the poori.
The flattened one should not be too thick or too thick.
Then drop it gently into the oil.
It will get bulged by itself and automatically turns and get cooked the other side.If not cook them on both the sides.
Drain off the excess oil by a kitchen tissue .
Serve it hot just like that as it requires no side dish.If u need it then serve it along with coconut chutney..
- Don't add too much of water while grinding.Just sprinkle water while grinding.
- If u feel the dough has high moisture content then transfer it to a dry clean cotton cloth,tie it and make the cloth to absorb the extra moisture.
- Add the pooris after the oil gets heated up.
- Make the size of the poori little small to avoid breakages while deep frying.
- U can omit the addition of garlic too.But adding garlic will avoid the gastric problems.
- U can also add a tbsp of grated coconut too.
- It is a spicy poori and u can reduce the quantity of chillies added.Short and bulky chillies will have more spicyness than the long slender ones.
- Addition of hing/Asafoetida is a must.
- U can also add the garlic along with the rice for grinding..Don't add in the middle and then grind.Just add it when u add the rice n dhal itself.