Paneer is my family's favourite item and they finish it off with no complaints.I had already posted many paneer side dishes like Paneer Do Pyaza,Butter Paneer masala,Palak Paneer,Mutter paneer masala,Paneer Jalfrezi etc.In this lane here adds the shahi panner which is a slight variation with the paneer butter masala.
They both taste little bit same except the fact that paneer butter masala tastes little sweet than the shahi paneer.
Try out this paneer sidedish which tastes very good with a simple roti..
For the recipe please click READ MORE below:
1 Cup of cubed Paneer
1 Big onion Chopped finely
3-4 No. of medium sized tomatoes,chopped finely(Prefer the less sour ones)
1 No. of green chilli,slitted
1 inch of ginger,deskinned
2 no. of Black cardamom/Motti Elachi
1 Tsp of Red chilli powder(preferably the kashmiri chilli powder)
1/4 Tsp of Pepper powder
1/2 Tsp of Garam masala powder
1 Tbsp of Tomato ketchup/sauce
1/4 cup of milk(I used toned fatless milk)
3 Tbsp of oil/ghee(I used oil)
1/4 cup of cream(Optional-i didn't use it)
salt to taste
1 Tsp of dry kasoori powder(Dry methi leaves powdered)
Chop the onions,tomatoes and keep it aside.
Heat oil in a kadai/Pan.Then add Motti elachi(Black Cardamom)
The image of the motti elachi is shown in the image that is extreme right..
Then add ginger,green chillies(slit or break it and add or else it will burst)
Then add choppes onions and saute it till it becomes translucent/pink
Then add chopped tomatoes and saute it.
Close the pan and cook it for 2-3 minutes in low flame.
Then cool them and add to the mixie jar
Grind it into smooth paste.No need of adding water.Water in the tomato itself is more than sufficient.If required small amount of water can be added.
Strain the mixture so that we get rid of the elachi skins,tomato skin and other ungrinded things.
Heat a pan and add oil.
To it add the grinded and strained mixture.
To it add Chilli powder.
Then add garam masala powder and mix well.
Then add pepper powder and mix well.
Finally add tomato sauce/Ketchup and mix well.
Then mix the mixture and make it to boil for some time.
Let it boil till the mixture turns very thick.
Then add milk/cream to it.I added milk(boiled and cooled)
Give a stir and let it get heated up for few minutes
Add cubed paneer to it and mix gently so that paneer doesn't break.
Wait till the mixture turns little thick.
Then u can add crushed kasoori methi to give a nice flavour to the dish.
Serve it with Roti,chappathi,Phulkas or Naan.It tastes good even with ghee rice.
Other Paneer dishes are:
Paneer Butter Masala
Mutter Paneer Masala
Paneer Do Pyaza
Baked Paneer oats frankies
- Instead of motti elachi u can add green cardamoms too.But black elachi imparts a different flavour to the dish.
- Instead of milk u can add fresh cream too.But after adding cram don't cook it for longer hours.
- Don't skip the step of straining the mixture.This makes the gravy into a smooth mixture.
- See to it that the tomatoes are not very sour.Bangalore variety of tomato is good rather than the country breed ones(Naatu Thakkali)
- U can fry the paneer and keep them to warm water.And then use it when u want to add to the dish.I didn't follow this step as I felt my panner was soft.
- Grind the mixture into a nice paste.
- Kashmiri red chilli powder gives a nice reddish colour to the dish.
- Deskin the ginger and then use it.The skin of the ginger is not good for health..