Being in Tuticorin the only advantage that I have is to enjoy fresh seafoods..We get all kinds of seafoods that too fresh..I started tasting this pomfret only after coming to Tuticorin.The white pomfrets are too tasty than the black ones..The taste is unexplainable.It goes very well with a simple rasam / Tomato Rasam/ Pepper Rasam or a sambar sadham.
The one that is mentioned below is chettinad style of frying the fish
Click READ MORE to get into the recipe:
3 no. of Pomfret fish
7 pods of garlic(peeled)
5-6 nos of small shallots/small onions
1 tbsp of rice flour
1 Tbsp of maida/All purpose flour
Salt to taste
Dry Roast items:
1 Tsp of cumin seeds/Jeera
1 Tsp of fennel/saunf
15 nos of Pepper/milagu
4 no. of dry red chillies(I used the long variety)
1 Tbsp of Coriander seeds
Few curry leaves
Keep all the required things ready.
In a pan dry roast the items one by one.
First fry dry chillies,Coriander seeds,Cumin seeds,fennel , pepper corns and curry leaves (In the image cumin seeds are missing!!).
Cool them and add it to the mixie jar.
Make it into nice powder.
Then add fresh raw garlic
Followed by fresh peeled and sliced shallots/small onions
Then add the dry powders rice flour,salt,Turmeric powder and maida.
Grind everything into a smooth paste by adding little water.
In the meanwhile wash the fish,make a slit on the pompret.
Then apply the paste over the pompret generously on both the side.
Keep it in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
Heat a pan with some oil.I did shallow fry.U can also do deep fry.
Gently drop the whole fish into the oil.Cook it.
If u are using shallow fry then u can close it with a lid to enable easy cooking.
Cook the fish in low flame.
- More the marination more the taste for the fish.
- Instead of shallow fry u can also deep fry the fish.
- U can also use Dosai Skillet to toast the fish.
- U can also bake the fish in the oven.
- Make the paste to very smooth.
- Slit the fish so that the masala enters into the fish.
- Powder the chilli and other items first and then add onions and garlic.
- Instead of red chillies u can add red chilli powder too.
- Instead of pomfret u can also use king fish(Vanjiram/Sheela) too