Belated Women's day wishes to all.For the past one week I had been bundled up with loads of work and had a small break from my blogging.
Last week it was my elder daughter Saindhavi's 8th birthday.I wanted to surprise her with an homebaked cake.
Added to it the same day was my very close friend P's wedding anniversary.Wishing her too a very happy and prosperous anniversary!!!This is a virtual treat to her too..
Daughters are always special to their mothers.I am very blessed to have two beautiful angels who are at my side whenever I fall down mentally and physically.I feel proud to have them as my daughters...
As our house had many female members compared to men...my hubby H made the women's day very special with a memorable gift and a card for all the three!!
Though this post is little late it is a special post dedicated to my daughter,my sweetest friend P and also to all the women in the world..
For recipe please press READ MORE below..
Recipe Source:Nita Mehta's Bakes & Cakes
Makes 8-10 Slices
4 Nos. of large eggs
2/3 Cups(1/3+1/3)and 1 Tbsp of powdered sugar
1/2 Cup and 2 tbsp of Maida or all purpose flour
1 Tsp of Baking Powder
1 and 1/2 tbsp of hot water
1 and 1/2 tsp of Vanilla Essence
Temperature:180 degrees C or 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes
Separate whites and Yellow of eggs.
Beat egg whites in a bowl, till it gets stiff
Add powdered sugar gradually(2 Tbsp at a time) and keep beating till all the sugar is used up.
Add egg yolks and mix well.
Add essence and mix well
Add boiling water(1/2 tbsp at a time) and beat more.Keep adding boiling water till it is used up(upto 1 and 1/2 Tbsp of hot water).
Beat till the egg mixture and sugar becomes thick,frothy and 3 times in volume
Sift Maida with baking powder
Fold in maida using a spoon(not a beater) adding half of it at a time.
Grease and dust a baking pan of 9" diameter.
Preheat the oven at 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
Pour the batter into the greased and dusted pan.
Bake it at 180 degrees C/350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes.
When the sponge cake leaves or shrinks away from the sides of the baking pan, it is done.The top of the cake is springy to touch and the cake springs back when touched lightly with the finger.
Insert a skewer to test whether the cake is done.If the skewer comes out clean then the cake is done.
Remove from the oven.Cool it for 10-15 minutes
Then take it from the pan
Icing is optional.I did a simple butter icing.
This is the recipe for a basic sponge cake which gets decorated into various types..
- While adding maida to the beaten eggs,sprinkle maida all over the eggs and not in one place.The egg tends to sink because of weight.
- Always fold maida and never beat.
- Never make a rotatory motion with the spoon while mixing maida.Make a downward and upward movement with the spoon.
- Always handle cake mixture gently
- Measure the ingredients very carefully to get a perfect sponge
- Use this cake for Hawaiian cake/blackforest cake with a little variation.
- For chocolate cake remove 4 tbsp of flour from the measured quantity of flour and add 4 tbsp of cocoa powder .Follow the same above recipe
- For a pineapple cake add 1 tsp of pineapple essence and 1 tsp of vanilla essence instead of 1 and 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence and follow the same recipe and procedure.