Though diet version of the vada tastes good it cannot beat the taste of the normally deep fried vada.When I was preparing the thayir vada-diet version I reserved some batter for deep frying..This vada goes very well with the Semiya/Vermicelli PayasamUrad dhal is very rich in proteins.For the kids we can skip the diet version of the vada and make for them this delicious Urad dhal Vada..Vada/Pongal,Vada/Idly are famous combinations that they serve at most of the south Indian restaurants
The same vada can be used to make thayir vada,sambhar vada,rasam vada,Chutney vada..I love to have them with Payasam.They taste fantastic when we have the payasam and the vada on a banana leaf
Enjoy making this vada...
For the recipe please press READ MORE below...
- Soak the urad dhal,raw rice for 1 hour.
- Drain off the water completely and grind it to a nice soft batter.
- Sprinkle water if you find it difficult to grind.
- Then add coriander leaves,curry leaves,ginger,onions,green chilli,salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai
- Make vadas and deep fry it in oil.
- Enjoy having it with coconut chutney.
- Don't add much water to the batter.More the water content more oil it absorbs.
- Let the oil gets heated well.
- Pepper powder alone can also be added instead of onions and the coriander leaves
- Making hole in the middle enables even cooking of the vada.
- Don't keep the flame in high.If so the vada will not get cooked inside.
- During frying when the oil bubbles subsides that indicates the vada had got cooked.
- Green leaves,vegetables can also be added.
- Don't soak the dhal for more than an hour.
- After the batter is grinded if you want to make vadas after sometime keep the batter in the fridge.
- When you are about to fry, add onions.Don't add before.Or else the batter will turn watery