All blogs had started posting sweets for Diwali and many of my readers keep asking to post some Diwali dishes.I had already posted some diwali special sweets like Boondi ladoo,Mysore pa, Murukku, Achu Murukku, Rava Ladoo,Kaju Lotus,7 Cups Burfi, 7 minutes Thiratti paal,Coconut Burfi, 3 minutes Doodh Beda.I will posting few more in the forthcoming days before Diwali..So stay tuned..
In this context I am starting off my Diwali Post with a Sweet Somas/Somasi.They also call it as Karchikka/Karanji/Kajjikayalu..It is customary in our family to make these during Diwali and also for baby Showers.Last month there was a baby shower in our family and my aunt made these yummy somas for her daughter.I got the recipe from her and thought I could post the same for Diwali.
Usually the fillings that we add inside varies according to ones taste.But I love the rava n sugar filling.I had also tried the roasted gram powder combination but I feel the crispy rava n sugar with a crispy outer layer gives a rich taste to the simple sweet..
It remains crisp for a week only.So make it accordingly..
Enjoy making this..
For the recipe please click READ MORE below:
For the Outer Covering:
1/2 Cup of Maida (i measured it in a 120 ml Cup)
1 Tsp of Corn Flour
1 Tsp of Oil/Butter
A pinch of salt
For the filling:
3 Tbsp of Rava/Sooji
2-3 Tbsp of granulated Sugar
1/4 Tsp of Cardamom Powder
1 Tbsp of broken Cashewnuts
1 Tbsp of Raisins
1/4 Tsp of Poppy seeds/Khus-Khus (Optional)
1 Tsp of Ghee-to roast
Preparation of the Outer Covering:
In a mixing bowl add Maida,Corn flour,salt,oil.Just mix them all with the fingers.They will now look like bread crumbles.
Then add water little by little and make it into a smooth paste.
Don't add too much of water.Then it will result in a non-crispy outer covering.More stiff the dough ,more crispier the outer covering.
Close it with a lid and keep it aside atleast for 1-2 hours.
Heat a pan.Add ghee to it.Let it melt.
Then add cashewnuts and saute it.
When the cashewnuts are half way done add raisins and saute it.
Then transfer them to another bowl and keep it aside.
Dont burn the cashewnuts.So do the process in low flame.
In the same pan add rava and khus khus and fry it.
If u want u can add 1/2 tsp of ghee.
Saute it in low flame.
Then switch off the flame.
To it add sugar and mix well.
Then add the raisins and cashewnuts-the fried ones.
Then add cardamom powder and mix well thoroughly.
Let the mixture gets cooled down.So keep it aside.
Divide the dough into equal balls.U can make 8-9 balls out of this dough.Make balls of size of a big gooseberry.Make them into small round even balls.
Then flatten it into thin rounds using a rolling pin.
Keep about 1/2 Tsp of the fillings in the centre of the flattened dough.
Touch water in your finger and apply it to the edges of the circled dough.It is enough to apply water in one half alone.(Since we are going to close it)
Then close the other side and make it as shown in the figure.Apply water to a wider area so that the fillings get sealed well.
Trim the ends using a somas cutter/Pizza cutter.If u don't have the cutter u can just fold the edges and fry it.
Heat oil in a pan.
Let the oil gets heated in medium flame.
Then drop the somaz one by one.
Turn both the sides and fry it well.
If u are not frying it well then it will not turn crispier.
Allow it to cool and store it in an air tight container.
- Let the dough to rest for atleast 1 hour to give a crispy outer covering.
- Dough should be stiff..only then the somaz will be crispier.
- Don't load more stuffings inside.
- When u are greasing the somas make a broader sealing to ensure that the filling doesn't come out while frying.
- U can change the stuffings according to ur wish..The other stuffings u can use are
- Roasted gram powder and sugar combination
- Coconut and sugar combination
- U can make the fillings in advance and store it in a freezer.
- While preparing the fillings don't add sugar when the flame is on.make sure that u switch off the flame and then add sugar to Rava.
- Sprinkle water little by little and make a stiff dough.Don't add all water at once.This quantity of maida might need about 1/8 Cup of water only..That is half of the quantity of maida..
- U can also bake the somas if u dont want to deep fry them.
- Instead of water u can add milk too.But the shelf life will decrease if u add milk.
Sending this for Tuesday Tamilazhar Samayal