To make my kids eat Idli is a very tough task!!!They love sandwiches ...So thought of stuffing a vegetable inside the idli and provide them a complete healthy breakfast.They are very easy to pack for a ride...I stuffed potatoes and veggies mixture inside the idli and gave them a surprise..They were so delighted to see a stuffing inside the idli and named it Idli sandwich!!From then I said no to White Bread!!!
For a healthy kids delight recipe please click READ MORE below..
Idly Batter(little thick batter) as required
For making 10 Idlies:
1 No. of Big Potato(Boiled and mashed well)
1/2 a onion chopped finely
1 Tbsp of grated carrot
1/8 tsp of Turmeric powder
1/2 Tsp of Red chilli powder
Finely Chopped green chillies(Optional-I didn't use it)
Salt to taste
1/2 Tsp of Mustard seeds
1 Tsp of Whole Urad Dhal
1 Tsp of Channa Dal
1 Tsp of Chopped curry leaves
Heat oil in a pan.Then add mustard seeds,urad dhal and channa dal.
Then add hing/Asafoetida and curry leaves.
Add finely chopped onions and saute it well.
The add boiled and mashed potatoes.
Then add grated carrot and saute well.
Add Turmeric powder,chilli powder and saute till the raw smell goes.
Add salt and mix well.
Make it into small patties/Vadai shape and keep it aside.
Take the batter out from the fridge atleast 10-15 minutes before u make idlies.
Let the idli batter be little thick than the normal idli batter..
Heat water in the idli maker/Pressure cooker.
Leave the water to boil.
Add a tbsp of thick batter to the idli mould.
Then keep the potato patties on it.
Again pour another tbsp of batter on it so that the patties get sealed.
Arrange the idli moulds in the idli maker.
Close it and cook it in low flame for 15-20 minutes/till it is cooked.
U can also cook the idlies in pressure cooker without putting the whistle and letting the vapour to escape...
After the idlies get cooked take it from the vessel and keep the mould out for few minutes.
Then scoop out the idlies and serve it by cutting it into 2 pieces.
This doesn't need anything as a sidedish!!
- If the batter is thin then the tuffing will sink in and will come out when u scoop the idlies out.So make the batter little thick than the normal idli batter.
- Don't add water when u saute the vegetables.let it get cooked in low flame..If u add water then the stuffing will not be stiff.
- U can do variations in the stuffings with various vegetables.
- If any vegetable stir fry gets remained for the lunch then u can use them for stuffing.
- Don't add too much of salt for the stuffing as we add salt for the batter too.
- If u are using chilled batter..then take it before 10 minutes from the fridge.This avoids idly becoming thick and hard.