I love to cook bell peppers.They have a unique taste and they taste good in whatever method we make.And chutneys are the best way to make the kids eat vegetables.I make chutney and sandwich them between wheat bread and serve them for a busy breakfast...
While selecting capsicum keep the following in mind.
The one with 4 bumps are sweeter in taste and they can be eaten raw.They have lots of seeds.(Female variety of Capsicum)
The one with 3 bump is good for cooking(male variety of Capsicum)
Courtesy:Kovai Pazhamudhir nilayam
So select the capsicum according to ur dish..
For the recipe pls click READ MORE below..
1 No. of bell pepper/Capsicum
2 Tbsp of whole groundnut
2-3 Red chillies(I used only 1)
A small marble sized tamarind
2-3 pods of garlic
1-2 Tsp of oil
Deseed the capsicum/Bell pepper.Chop the capsicum into cubes.U can use a combo of red,green and yellow capsicum or a single colour alone.I used only the green one.The final colour of the chutney depends on the colour of the capsicum.In a pan add a tsp of oil and roast the groundnuts.I used groundnuts with the skin.
In the same pan roast red chilli,tamarind,garlic.
Saute capsicum nicely for 2-3 minutes.
Add salt and Grind them smoothly by sprinkling some water.If u want to keep the chutney for more than a day then avoid adding water .
U can temper it with mustard seeds.But I didn't do it.
Without tempering itself the chutney tasted too good with hot steamed rice
- U can use a combo of red,yellow,green colour capsicums.
- The final colour of the chutney depends on the colour of the capsicum.
- U can substitute red chilli with green chillies too.
- If u want it more spicy then select the capsicum with 4 bum and add more chillies too.
- It tastes good with hot steamed rice,Dosa and bread.
- U can temper the chutney finally with mustard seeds.
- Avoid adding water if u want to increase its shelf life
- U can reserve few pieces of capsicum and add finally after grinding the chutney and giving a quick mix in the mixie.This imparts a crunchy texture for the chutney